Tuesday, September 25, 2012

humility - and the be nice culture

Regardless of what industry you find yourself either working in/ wanting to work in, you’re going to find that there is a set bar of expectations. This is in all honestly neither a bad nor good thing. If we don't have the skills required we won’t be able to easily accomplish set tasks; but if your lacking one skill maybe, just maybe, you will be able to create a new way of accomplishing the same thing.

In hair for instance there are hundreds of ways to cut hair and achieve a multitude of different effects. This is the combined affect of all hair dressers; where one saw a problem another saw an answer. The people lacking knowledge or the people who simple don't know the standard way of doing things are, to me more often than not the spark behind change.

So why do we go off to school? School is in my opinion to build a platform; a solid base of knowledge that should be easily built upon by your own experiences. - some of us have to learn through experience. I for one will never cut fringe wet ever again. School should also be inspiring not just in your field of learning but also in other manners of your own personal life. Anyone that’s attended a Paul Mitchell school know about the "be nice book" I remember our first class on it - we were all in tears. It’s funny how being in a group of your peers all crying together can bond all of you, even with those who you thought you had nothing in common with.

But the most important thing that I've picked up from these “be nice classes” is that if we’re comfortable were not growing. You may think that's a ridiculous statement but are we comfortable when faced with conflict, ignorance, or just someone who chooses to disagree with something you hold to be true in your own heart?  I know I’m not. But I think the one thing that’s changed me the most is not being able to hide things from those I love the most; being forced to be honest, having to ask for help. A little humility can go a long ways, especially when you’re forced to swallow every ounce of pride you have to do so.

In my experience attending a Paul Mitchell school the one thing I can say is that it made me uncomfortable. It made me grow. In my next 500 hours of hair school we will have to see what happens, don’t get to worried I’m sure we will have a few more posts pertaining to my – education.


No comments:

Post a Comment